Navigation Menu+

Falling Feathers Quilt

Posted on Mar 20, 2015 by in Applique, Dear Jane, Hand Work, Machine Work, Piecing, Quilts | 0 comments

Fall Frolic Swap Quilt

Dimensions: 40″ x 49″Fall Frolic Swap Quilt
Completed: October 2003

Machine Pieced
Machine Applique
Hand Pieced
Hand Applique

This quilt is the end result of an internet swap run through the Dear Jane mailing list. It was called the Fall Frolic and used autumn tone fabrics.
Sets of 10 were made and swapped. I made 3 sets – 2 sets of block D8 and 1 set of block H12, if that means anything to you!

I quilted this to death, breaking in my new sewing machine. The borders are chock-full of free motion feathers, and the sashings are full of these too.
Each block was stitch-in-ditched (my site, I can make up my own words!), then heavily stippled. Many blocks incorporate melon patterns
(like in DJ block E1 for those in the know!).

 

There were some MAJOR dramas with this quilt. If you have ever ruined a quilt with ink, there is hope!

Here is my story, along with pictures of ink stain damage on this quilt being fixed.

This quilt hangs (very) proudly in my sewing room (for some reason the house plans call it a Parent’s Retreat… I’m sure it was a misprint!) at the top of the stairs. stairs2
It’s what people see as they walk in our front door. The sewing room is heavily guarded at night, as shown to the right.

And lastly, here’s the label – it shows a photo of each block with its sashing and lists the name and location of each maker. I also used  Vliesofix to attach it before I sewed it down, so that it wouldn’t wander too much – it’s quite a big label!

label

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Fall Frolic Blocks That Needed Fixing

These blocks were damaged in my quilt due to my own stupidity. I had decided to break in my new sewing machine and do a LOT of quilting on it. Unfortunately, I had different weight threads in top and bottom and had lots of light thread showing on my dark blue backing… I got my trusty fabric markers and began colouring them in. When these died (I DID say there was lots to cover!), I used other permanent pens – and one of these leaked through the batting to the front. I was (am) devastated.  5 blocks in total had visible ink stains on them.

I tried bleach (this actually damaged part of one piece of sashing – had to fix that too!), carpet stain remover, hair spray (thanks to a Google search and BOY did the dye run with that!), Napisan, oxy-action type cleansers, liquid stain removers, carpet stain removers… in the end I gave up.  It could have been a lot worse, I know. Many people online told me not to worry about it, that they had trouble finding the stains, but I knew they were there and my eyes went straight to those spots.

For anyone who gets in this mess, check the website of the pen you used – this one had a link to stain removal right on the homepage! (By the way, it said to use dry cleaning solvent (illegal to buy/sell over the counter here in Australia) or go straight to the dry cleaners. Had I done that, they most likely would have fixed the problem for me)

I decided to fix 3 based on advice I received from the seamstress who works at my local dry cleaner’s. The damage wasn’t as bad as I thought it was (my MIL didn’t notice it at all), but my eyes kept focussing on it, so something had to be done. My apologies to those that made the blocks in the first place.

First block to be operated on was J12:

RBblockfixed

 

And the treatment for E10:

FDblockfixed

 

And finally block C12 (this one took the longest – I appliquéd every light square on individually!):

FamRblockfixed

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *